Oh crumbs, I have about 12 hours left to fulfill my ONE New Years Resolution of 2012- to charge my electric toothbrush. I know! I’ll do it now instead of writing this! *contemplates getting off sofa to look for toothbrush and charger* *carries on blogging*
Sometimes when I resolve to do things I am like a stubborn ox, immovable, determined. I have been vegetarian since I was ten and haven’t wavered for one second. I gave up buying new clothes 6 years ago and haven’t been tempted since. And then, in other ways, I am as flighty and undedicated as a sparrow with seven fiances and a helium balloon in its mouth.
If I am not inspired, I just don’t care. When it comes to sticking with normal resolutions (like cleaning my teeth properly and everyday) I just can’t be arsed. (Teeth scmeeth.)
It’s a line originally from The National’s Baby We’ll Be Fine, and is so simple, but for me sums up a lot of what I think.
“Be brave” because I want to:
- Parent intuitively and instinctively, instead of by norms
- Speak the truth and not worry about criticism
- Face challenging times head on
- Choose (with my husband) the right paths for our family
- Give things a bash and not be scared of failure
- Stand up, and battle, for what I think is right
- Let go of fear, because it drives out love
“Be kind” because:
- Kindness is love in action
- A kind gesture is good for everyone’s soul
- A kind word is eternal
- Kindness can be small – like connecting with neighbours
- Kindness can be big- like whole crowds choosing to bank ethically
- Truth needs to be spoken from a loving motivation
- Kindness is a value I see each day in my husband and want to copy
- Kindness is something I want Ramona to treasure
- Kindness can be a talisman for my parenting – an “Is this kind?” filter
I stitched it onto one of my beautiful Nana’s doilies and framed it in a charity shop frame painted white, and here it sits atop of some of my favourite thrifted odds and ends.
Have you made any resolutions? Do you have a motto for the year?